We believe in the value of relationships. We view every client relationship like a partnership, and truly believe that our success is a result of your success.
We are committed to providing close, personal attention to our clients. We take pride in giving you the assurance that the personal assistance you receive comes from years of advanced training, technical experience and financial acumen. Our continual investment of time and resources in professional continuing education, state-of-the-art computer technology and extensive business relationships is indicative of our commitment to excellence.
Tom Owen, company founder and managing member, has nearly forty years of experience as an accounting and tax professional in national, regional, and local firms. Over his career, Mr. Owen has developed a solid reputation among his peers for being a technician and an excellent technical research and resource individual. Additionally, he has cultivated professional associations with peers and other financial executives, attorneys, bankers and insurance professionals who are often able to provide seamless assistance when needed with solving business, personal, tax and financial planning issues. This extensive experience with businesses and individuals has provided a solid framework for providing efficient and effective solutions for his clients.
Mr. Owen serves a wide array of clients, offering industry specializations in construction, real estate and lending institutions. Other business areas in which Mr. Owen has developed significant experience include transportation, manufacturing and health care providers. Additionally, he has been active in assisting individuals with establishing their own businesses in multiple states. Over his career, he has:
- Assisted individual clients with starting new businesses or expanding existing businesses in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois and Michigan;
- Spearheaded the establishment of job cost and profitability maintenance projects for a $150 million real estate subsidiary of a major Virginia thrift in the 1980s;
- Designed job cost templates for use in monitoring indirect costs allocated to jobs as well as monitoring profitability for a $20 million multi-state specialty construction subcontractor;
- Served as a key accounting firm member involved with community bank mergers as well as the writing of MD&A that accompany annual reports in filings with the SEC;
- Transitioned a subsidiary of a British company to proper tax reporting in several states, including setting up registrations in those states to do business and consulting for the appropriate sales tax certificate or exemption.
- Assisted with the IPO of a biotechnology company;
- Transitioned compliance with foreign dividend withholding practices and reporting before repeal and ratification.
- Assisted in the implementation of enterprise accounting software for a medium-sized transportation company;
- Facilitated the establishment and monitored the use of various Quickbooks Premier packages including the use of job cost and payroll features for small businesses and not-for-profits;
- Participated as an accounting consultant for a community bank holding company, until the BHC was able to hire its accounting department, assisting with the internal financial reporting, development of the quarterly 10-QSB and the annual 10-KSB that are filed with the SEC after review and audit by the Bank’s independent auditing firm.
- Consulting services have included valuations performed to support the valuation of goodwill and transition of the adoption of cost and revenue measurement tools used recognizing loan fee income and costs. Services have included implementing Sarbanes-Oxley rules in connection with the SEC registration statements noted above.
- Numerous agreed-upon procedures engagements under the AICPA's attestation standards.
- Litigation support services as an expert witness on construction industry accounting matters.
Tom Owen has been an active participant in professional organizations, including previously holding the office of President, in the Richmond Chapter of the Institute of Management Accountants, the Central Virginia Chapter of the Construction Financial Management Association and the Virginia Council of the Institute of Management Accountants.